STEM education has become more common throughout the United States in recent years and in other countries around the world. What exactly is STEM, why is a STEM education important, regardless of your teen’s occupational aspirations, and where is there a STEM program in the Addison, TX area? Let’s take a look at the answers to these questions and more.
What is STEM education?
STEM education is a multi-disciplinary approach that includes Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. If you’re thinking … “I thought those subjects were already included in most school programs” … you’d be correct. In the past, however, these subjects were taught individually. With STEM, they’re integrated instead of separated, combined into one teaching methodology that more easily allows for real-world application of what’s being taught.
Why is a STEM education beneficial?
In today’s ever-changing world, it’s more important than ever for students to get a solid foundation in science, technology, engineering, and math. In fact, many of the technological or scientific advances we enjoy today were brought about because of an increased focus on STEM education. Here are some of the biggest benefits of having a core curriculum based on these disciplines:
- Increased innovation – A STEM education encourages curiosity, creativity, and ingenuity in students. What do you get when all of these wonderful traits are combined? Innovation! Just imagine what can be achieved when students allow their imaginations to flourish and they have the right tools at their disposal to make those imaginations a reality.
- Reduced fear of failure – When students learn in a safe environment, they know that failure is simply part of the process, not something to fear. As they fail and then try again, they learn valuable lessons and build confidence in their own thoughts and abilities. (Wouldn’t Thomas Edison have loved a STEM education? He failed 1,000 times before successfully creating what we know as a light bulb today!)
- Better problem solving skills – The STEM disciplines all have at least one thing in common: they’re focused on helping answer some of life’s biggest questions. Students are encouraged to find a problem and then use teamwork and critical thinking skills to create a viable solution for that problem.
- Teamwork makes the dream work – In the past, many educational programs focused on the personal achievements of individual students. With a STEM education, however, teamwork saves the day. When bright and curious minds work together, each drawing on their own strengths, it’s amazing what can be achieved.
- Real-world application – Many students have been frustrated by their high school experience, feeling like the things they were forced to learn would never again be useful in their lives. However, with a STEM focus, students can apply what they learn to solve real-world problems now and in the future.
- Experimental learning – Have you ever created a new recipe simply by combining ingredients that you think would fit well together? A STEM education allows students to learn in the same way – with an inquisitive attitude and the willingness to take some risks through experimentation, great accomplishments can be made!
Get a Private High School STEAM Education in Texas
At Rising Aviation High School, we take STEM education one step further. We make it STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Aviation, Mathematics. With a solid core curriculum based on all the STEM disciplines, students at our private high school in Addison, TX can also take Aviation electives to fully prepare them for an aviation career.
Imagine having a childhood dream of becoming a pilot and being able to make that dream come true while still in high school! From hands-on flight experience and Aircraft Charter Management to a Fixed Wing Pilot’s License or a Remote Pilot’s License, it’s all possible with Rising Aviation.
As a STEM accredited school, we have what it takes to prepare today’s youth for a variety of future careers, especially since the skills acquired through a STEM education can apply to many occupations. Admittedly, however, we are partial to careers in aviation. That’s exactly why our Addison, TX campus is located at Addison Airport (KADS) while our newest location (coming soon) will be located at Dallas Executive Airport (KRBD).
If you have a teen interested in an aviation career or a private STEM education in the Addison or Dallas, TX area, contact us today to explore our academic and aviation programs.